Sunday, March 30, 2008

Spring?

Supposedly spring is supposed to arriving in Michigan any day now, although this week we got another snow/sleet storm and I had to break the ice scraper out of hiding instead of commuting in by bike on Friday. For the most part it was a so so week of riding, but the storm on Thursday made for an interesting ride home. A. Lo and I left the shop a little after 8:00 p.m. and I rode with him to his place where we parted ways. I had decided that despite the precipitation falling from above I could sneak in 10 or 15 extra miles as there was no accumulation, yet. By the time I got to Eastown the roads had a slushy film that was getting a bit slick and I was thankful I had let a little air out of my tires at the shop so I had some traction. After spinning a cold and wet lap around Reeds Lake I took off for home with snow now accumulating not just on the roads and lawns but also on my handlebars. I had to ride extremely cautious threw downtown, but made it home in one piece, wet and shivering but nothing a warm shower didn't take care of. I am constantly amazed at what the right clothing can do. A year ago 40 degrees made me ride the trainer and now with Lake winter boots and a couple layers of clothing I was able to ride in sub 30 degree temps with a wintry mix falling. I am hoping that I will not have to be amazed by my clothings ability to keep me warm this week and that 50 degree temps will actually come to Michigan bringing with them a big week on the bike. Yankee Springs TT is only 20 days away so I gotta get in the miles when I can.

GBK

No comments: