Wednesday, November 7, 2007

3 days of thoughts.


The past few days, as I mentioned before were spent in the great lands of Chicago with my parents. I made the trip to Chi-town as a little pre-birthday gathering with them since my birthday is today [and thank you]. When Brian had challenged me to this, I knew of this trip and I had originally thought, how could I get my bike to Chicago. I mean, if you're like me you've always wanted to cruise around the big city, if only for the experience. I soon found out that there wasn't going to be able to get my bike there since I was taking the train and Amtrak did not offer a storage option on the GR to Chi-town... And so my dream died.

The trip did allow me to finally experience the Grand Rapids Rapid, which is Grand Rapids bus system. I am fortunate enough to live in a city that has a pretty dang good public transit. I was able to get a bus that took me a few blocks from the train station. Which is just a great option for me, the trip and then train to Chicago, along with a few trips on the L only cost me around $35.00. I challenge you to find a cheaper way to get to Chicago and back for that.

Once in Chicago, I might add one of my favorite cities around, I caught myself doing what I think every shop rat or avid rider does, check out every bike they pass. Any big city is like being a kid in a candy store. Especially with all the bike messengers and seeing what they might have for set up and then just seeing all the different ways for fixies. Oh my, I get excited just thinking about it. This is just another reason why I love that fixies are definitely becoming a trend. Maybe it's my individualist outlook on things, but seeing how people set things up, and why... and heck, there is just something clean and pure when it comes to fixies and single speeds.

That's all I have for now, time to figure out the rest of the day and maybe a bit of a ride.

No comments: