Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Spinning the legs

Today was my day off. Yeah sure it sounds great, but really having a mid week day off isn't all it's cracked up to be. Given that often no one else has a day off either and so it's not like there are many things to do. Today I took the cross bike out for a spin, finally, with the intention of dialing in the new handlebar positioning... It was a beautiful day out, a bit chilly, but my computer let me know it was 24 degrees somewhere in Grand Rapids yet when I got out on the bike my computer read 39. So chilly? Yes but completely bearable.

Here is the position that I started out with, I did a short 15 mile loop through downtown and hit a few hills for kicks. The only adjustment I ended up making 2/3 the way through the ride was to roll the bars forward a bit more so that I would fit into the 'ergonomic' flats in the drops. The only concern I have left is feeling the need to add some extra padding. I'm thinking I'm going to try this method first and see how it goes.... maybe not so many layers but you get the point.



Had to ditch the glasses for the Oakleys today and made sure I kept all the roadies happy with 'proper' helmet to sunglasses positioning. I guess that's what I get for starting to read A Dog in a Hat. Great read so far.


Two last things of note. In the picture above you can see that I'm wearing this Cannondale jacket. I recently got my hands on it and it pretty dang sweet. It is both a jacket and a vest, but the killer part of it, no snaps or zippers to deal with in transitioning between the jacket and vest, magnets! It's stellar, I started off a bit too warm with a baselayer, wool long sleeve jersey and jacket on, ditch the arms and it was perfect. I highly recommend this if you're looking for multipurse gear.

No comments: