Wednesday, November 28, 2012

NDJR/20 Liters: Day 6

DAY 6 - Why Ride Fixed.

Outside of the first day of commuting and a few bonus miles last, I have been riding solely on my fixed gear bike, Red.

Now, unlike some who will try to persuade you into thinking that by riding fixed I am more in-tune with my bike, that it is a more 'pure' way to ride or some other bloated belief that riding a track bike is the only proper way to cycle.

So... why do I ride fixed?

Honesty, the reasons vary. My choice to ride fixed at this point of year is simply that my legs are required to keep moving. It's cold often when confronted with a brisk winter wind, I am guilty of often coasting in those moments.

Am I more aware of the environment I am in when riding fixed? Certainly. Riding without a hand brake I must constantly be aware of my surroundings and my position on the bike in order to control the bike properly.

But right now. I want to do everything I can to stay warm.

And you'd do the same, you do make choices to stay fed, to stay warm, to provide.  No matter where we are, people around the globe make these choices. Some of us are privileged that we have multiple options among many choices - what if you didn't?

What if the choice to drink dirty water to live was your only choice, even if it mean that was actually going to take your life in a different manner down the road? What if you had the ability to clean that water so that you might live - isn't that a choice someone should have?


_

Totals to date:

Miles today: 10.6 miles 
Overall miles: 39.2 miles

Sponsor a mile. Even a dollar can help change a life. Donate here.

No comments: