Friday, November 16, 2012

NDJR/20 Liters: Day 4

DAY 4 - Blind spots.

As cyclists, the more we ride the more we learn when and where we are seen and more importantly when we are not.  Over the years, my mantra has always been when commuting to ride like you aren't seen.

In the summer it is easy to assume when we are not seen. In the winter visibility goes even further down with snow and the elements coming into play.  The transition from fall to winter with frost and losing daylight due to the time change seems to be when cycling can be even more dangerous.

In these mornings, some are running behind and many have yet to find their windshield scraper, leaving windows often not fully cleared off.

When commuting today I had an irregular number of close calls with vehicles turning onto the road.  After the first encounter I noticed that this car had only scrapped enough of their windshield to see forward not out the side.  Yes, frustration grew as I had the privilege of yelling at other cars with similar self-made blind spots as they came far too close for comfort.

Fortunately, I made it safely.

Of course this led me to reflect on my own blind spots -
Which of those am I aware of?
Which might I have created or reinforced?

And most importantly what might be the next right step in working on these?
Education.
_

Totals so far:
Miles today: 4.8 miles
Overall miles: 20.4 miles

140mi = $140 = 10 yrs of clean water for 7 people or 1 family
$1 sponsors a mile, do so by clicking here.

No comments: