Thursday, June 25, 2009

New/Old Rig

Almost 2 months ago, Bottke and I attempted to do some thing big. Real big. We both knew what it was but didn't KNOW how big it was. I believe I can say this for the both of us that our training was... errr... sub-par. We both took seriously what the bikes we were riding had to be able to handle and we both took similar yet different approaches to the set up during the ride.

For how much I loved riding my crossbike, I needed a break from it and took just that. Instead I just got distracted on other bike projects and riding Red. It's been good but over the last two weeks I started working on it. Take it down to frame and cleaning off all the Iowa dust and transforming it back into what looks closer to what it is, a cross bike. But! Since I can never do some thing straightforward, with a twist.

A little timeline of sorts for your Friday...

Shortly after getting the bike, swapped seat and handlebar tape out immediately

I didn't dig the tan bartape and switched it out pretty quickly to
the Salsa dark brown
tape and changed the Velocity cages to brown from blue

When TransIowa got closer, setup changed to the WTB mountain dropbar
giving the bike a 'special' look


To it's newest form. I switch out the stem for a white Kore 100mm 6 degree stem,
white Kore cantilever brakes, new 105 crank set up 1x9 with Salsa 40T chainring with Salsa Crossing Guard, Salsa blue skewers and lip lock [still waiting for that]

Changed out the front brake lever but I'll have to admit I'm a bit jealous of Carls set up
[which I used as reference] and never thought I'd admit to being envious of Campy.
Looking for a 105 9 speed shifter. Anyone? Anyone?

The crank!

I have one more change to be made but that will come before this years Kisscross season starts up. You might have noticed I'm currently running 700x25 Conti Gatorskins on the cross bike. Sure, it looks a bit strange but for now, it's a road bike with a lot of tire clearance.

Until next time, enjoy the weekend! Get out and ride!

No comments: