Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Holy Socks...

Yes. Holy socks. But before we get into that completely, while back in Iowa few weeks ago, I had the privilege of riding with a old co-worker and friend, Mark or otherwise known as the infamous G-Ted. Who is still by far one of the most enjoyable people to talk shop with, and his insight into cycling is gospel. As I posted on the ol' Twitter, the ride was a countdown of sorts... '4- people started 3- people finished 2- mechanicals 1-great ride.'

All of which was mentioned by Ted in his post about the ride, but what has had me really thinking was watching him fix his flat. He was outfitted with all the proper gear: pump, tube, levers, etc. What stood out was when he pulled out his spare tube, it was in an old cycling sock. Which both David and myself kind of chuckled at, to which Mark responded with...

' It reduces chaffing'

Like I said, Ted's insight is gospel but for the last few weeks I've wondered. Really? Did it matter? It's just a tube. But chaffing is no ones friend regardless of where it's happening. Of course the sock keeps the tube from potential punctures from tools, finds a use for those odd ball socks that, if you're like me, I can never let go of, and heck, it looks pretty sweet too...

I just so happened to have worn through one of my Surly wool socks recently, and didn't know what to do with it, so I decided few things...


One: it was never 'right' to wear holey socks, even if you're going to church.

Two: Washing the remaining sock is a must but works great. I shall call it a 'Tube Sock'
[sure, it's on the outside of my seatbag, but that's where it gets rocked]


Three: Saving the elastic side can be used for a cell phone, digital camera or iPod sleeve
AND it gives me even more hipster street-cred with a one of a kind Surly sleeve.


No comments: